Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Caribbean Plate

So many different ways to cook this up.  This idea is from my sister-in-law, Annie.  It was so so good.  We loved it.  

This is how I did it:

* Meatless

* Rice: cooked in chicken broth and fresh squeezed orange juice (from 3 oranges).  A few shakes of chili powder, a bit of coconut sugar.  After it was finished cooking, a handful of flaked coconut and chopped cilantro.

* Beans: sautee onion.  Throw in a bunch of black beans (I've started cooking dry beans.  Because they aren't canned, you'll need to add more flavoring since there's no preservative in it.  WAY cheaper and I feel really good about it too).  Season salt, chili powder, whatever other herbs I have.  I did a few shakes of Italian Blend seasoning.  Handful of chopped cilantro.

Serve rice over beans...topped with shredded cheese and lettuce.  I made a ton, froze a large bag of it, and we'll have it again tonight for dinner...a week later.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

These are her words:  

* put some frozen chicken in the crockpot with seasoned salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic, a little orange juice, and sometimes some coconut sugar.  I've also just put some salsa in it before.  Just season it however you like.  When it's done, shred it up.

* For the rice, I use a combo of chicken broth and orange juice for the liquid.  I add chili powder and sometimes coconut sugar if I want it to be a little sweet.  Once it's cooked, I add a bunch of flaked coconut and chopped cilantro.

* For the beans, I like to dice some onion and sautee it before I add canned beans.  My favorite is a can of black and a can of kidney.  Then I just add seasoned salt and chili powder. 

Can be served with chopped lettuce, sour cream, tortilla chips, diced avocado, and/or mango salsa.  It's good no matter what you do


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails