Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

This was a really interesting book. I liked the perspective, letters between diabolical servants -- but I had a hard time getting into it. I'm not sure why. I began reading it as a story between these two devils. But then, when I switched and started reading it as a story about the man they are trying to trap in sin, it became more enjoyable. Then, however, I found I had switched again to focusing on the 2 devils. For whatever reason, I couldn't organize my reading. Perhaps it's beacause of everything going on while I was reading it and I just coudln't focus? I'm not sure. Either way, it's a short book and though it took me a bit to get into it, by the end of the book I liked it and was glad I had read it. It made me think of Satan and his devious ways a little differently. There were some parts that were disturbing because you can't help by self-reflect during the book and I found that I had gotten into some of the traps C.S. Lewis mentions. Very interesting. No, I don't believe I'll be thrust to Hell, but the subtle traps he uses are very interesting. It's an eye opening piece of fiction.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails