Monday, March 7, 2011

Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat by Peter Walsh


While at the library a few weeks ago, I decided to check out some books on tape. I mean, why not? I wasn't looking for anything in particular...just something that would jump out at me. Lately, I've been on a clean-up kick. I'm feeling a little claustrophobic and just need to get rid of stuff. I'm feeling overwhelmed. Furthermore, I've been thinking a lot about the kind of home I want in the future. I've decided that in order to achieve the kind of home I want, I need to more diligently work on those areas that will, well, create the kind of home I want. So, I'm working on my clutter, on my mess, on how much stuff I have. For that reason, when I saw Peter Walsh's Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?, I was intrigued. Why not listen to this as I clean? Great.
I wasn't looking for a clutter-loss equals weight-loss book, but I found some of the stuff he said quite interesting. In deed, I have found in my life, and in the lives of some close family members, that when we are in health mode, we tend to also be in a toss-out-extra-junk mode. That extra junk isn't just food -- but it's clothes that aren't worn, knick knacks that have been sitting around dusty for years, piles of papers and magazines that just need to be tossed out finally, etc. I'm not sure the exact psychological reason for it, but it seems that getting rid of extra stuff is, perhaps, healthy. Why do we need to consume so much? Walsh talks about too much consumption in terms of food, but also clutter. I loved that. I do, really, consume too much than I need. I am that person who says, "oh, it was a great deal." So what? If I don't need it -- or more importantly -- if there's no place to put it (and properly put it) then it's not really a good deal is it? Instead of saving $50, I've spent $15 and added more clutter to my life....and then I go out and gain 20 lbs on top of that! Ok. So that's exaggeration. Anyway, I just found it interesting and liked how he goes about getting the extra clutter and weight out for good. His goal isn't to get your super skinny -- just healthy. And, as I said, I think that health is physical and mental as we get rid of all those extras. It was a good listen. Thanks Mr. Walsh. I knew I liked you.

1 comment:

Larissa said...

How ironic! I just blogged about clutter: http://larissaexplainsitall.blogspot.com/2011/03/shedding.html

It does feel so much better to have no clutter and not feel tied down in so many ways. Thanks for the blog - let's me know I'm not crazy in my philosophies!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails