Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Entitlement Trap by Richard and Jane Eyre

Entitlement.  One of the most irritating things is when you talk to someone who thinks they deserve something, or a ton or things, just because.  As if they are breathing is reason enough to have whatever it is they want.  And I'm not just talking about material things.  I'm talking about people expecting other people's time and resources simply because.  And, if we were all 100% Christ-like, perhaps that would be enough.  But, I am from the school of thought that we should be trying to become as self-reliant as possible, and then, when we need a helping hand, we can confidently ask for it...or receive it when given freely.

So, entitlement.  It's a problem among kids and adults.

I really liked this book for a few reasons.  One, the topic.  It needs to be addressed.  Two.  It is easy to read.  It's fast, not filled with thick language.  I don't mind scientific, but this was nice.  Three.  The Eyre's give practical advice on how to achieve each of the items they address.  They don't just talk about it, they explain, step by step, what you can do.  Four.  I agree with it.  And that's always validating, isn't it?:)

I recommend the book.  Will I do all the suggestions?  Probably not.  But that's ok.  I still feel like I've walked away with a lot of knowledge and I feel better prepared for the coming years with the kidlets.

2 comments:

Analisa said...

Jane Eyre wrote a book!!!

Marcus and Jenny said...

hahaha I miss you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails