If you are just leaning into adding more grains, or eating less meat in general, use 1/2 the meat you normally would and 1/2 quinoa...or rice. In fact, a wild rice would be really yummy in this recipe, I just had a ton of quinoa to use up and it worked out really well.
Low calorie, virtually fat-free, packed with fiber and protein.
Kid's rating: 3.5 out of 4 stars
(ate it all with no complaints, but didn't ask for seconds)
Mexican Lettuce Wraps
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
3 cups cooked black beans (or 15 oz can will work)
3 cups cooked quinoa
1/2 cup water
1 pack of your favorite taco seasoning
1 head of lettuce
1. In a large frying pan, heat olive oil and saute chopped onion and garlic until onions are translucent
2. Add green pepper. Cook another 2-3 minutes
3. Add corn and black beans. Cook another 4-5 minutes. Stir mixed food together every minute or so.
4. Add quinoa. Stir together. Add 1/2 cup of water and taco seasoning. Mix well. Cover and allow to cook over low heat for another 3-5 minutes.
5. Spoon mix over a leaf of lettuce. Add any toppings you'd like (cheese, tomato, olives, etc). Roll up and enjoy.