Thursday, May 22, 2014

Persuasion by Jane Austen



Suffice it to say that I loved this book.  The only Jane Austen I have read is Pride and Prejudice, a novel with its well-deserved accolades.  I decided it was time to read more of her work...not just watch the movies.  There was no real literary reason why I chose Persuasion over any of her other works.  It just happened that way.  And each evening was a delight.

It's easy to find a summary online about this book.  It's a love story, a wonderful love story...as described by others, the classic Cinderella story.  Anne Elliot is past her prime at the ripe old age of 28.  And it seems that she is so often overlooked...loved by her family, of course.  But overlooked nonetheless.  She is old.  She is past the age to be married, have a family.  I love the writing of this time, but am grateful I don't live in it!

4 comments:

D-n-E said...

This is one of my favorite, but oft overlooked, Austen works. I just read Mansfield Park recently. Not one of her best.

Emily said...

I've read all of Austen's major works and this is a favorite. I also LOVE the BBC adaptation. Worth watching!

Jenny said...

Emmi. I've tried to read Mansfield Park before and couldn't get into it. hmm

Emily, I'm soooo glad to hear there's an adaptation of it because I was hoping! I'll have to check it out. thanks!

AJ said...

This is my favorite Austen book and I've read them all. Good luck with the others after this. I have a harder time with them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails