Saturday, February 6, 2010

Replacing TV with TV

Lately, I have dropped a lot of my tv shows realizing that I am up way too late watching shows that are basically stupid. So, instead, when I need some tv, I sit and watch Gilmore Girls on dvd. Great replacement...I know! New tv shows replaced by old tv shows. hmmm I'm still up too late watching tv, but I'm hooked. I never watched it while it was on, but someone gave me seasons 3 and 4 to borrow -- claiming I'd like them. They were wrong...I love them! I'm obsessed. Aside from some of the bad acting, I love it. And I need to go back to see seasons 1 and 2 -- through the end.

And it's got me thinking about all the old teenyboppery shows I've liked in the past, and if they were still on...I'd still be watching. They are filled with bad plot and bad acting, but that's partly what makes it so great. Though, I think Gilmore Girls is a step above the ones listed below. So, I now introduce my embarrassing list of Jenny's Television Greats -- this really should have a different title I'm sure.

Dawson's Creek. I shudder as I think about it. I'm really embarrassed about this one, mainly because I was so old when it was on, and it's really just that lame. Just before I went on my mission I was watching this show...so I was like 20 years old watching Dawson's Creek! Barf. But there was something about it that I liked. It definitely got annoying -- Dawson got super annoying, just plain out ridiculous. But then you have Pacey who was just a good guy -- cuter-the-more-you-get-to-know-him guy. So plot was not always the best, but that's ok. That's not why you watch a show like Dawson's Creek. Actually, I'm not sure why you do watch a show like Dawson's, but I did, and I enjoyed it. (Until I decided to stop watching it because, I believe, it was just too much.) I even have the soundtrack. Gag! But if there were re-runs, I could place a pretty good bet that I'd get sucked in again.


Roswell.
Roswell was a gem of a show. It brings me back to my college years. Dido became popular around this time, since her song with the theme song. "Oh I am what I am, I do what I want...but Iiiiiiiii can't hide. I won't go, I won't sleep, and I can't breathe, until you're resting here with me..." Great start for her. Great cast. I didn't even remember that Katherine Heigl was on the show...but this Grey's star was on the WB hit Roswell. Oh, how I loved this show and looked forward to it each week. A good mix of teenage love, angst, and aliens. I'm sure it was super cheesy, and over the top, and ridiculous, and at times inappropriate. But I'm tempted to go buy all the seasons on dvd as we speak...or type. Whatever.




Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I never watched Buffy, though after watching only 1/2 an episode with Analisa the other day, I regretted not partaking in the years that Buffy was on the air. Oh the acting is horrible, the vampires and other monster-like creatures look hideous, but there is a definite draw. And this little (once again, too long) clip made me giggle a little bit. Oh, vampires are great aren't they?



So, I clearly have a weakness for tacky tv shows. And as long as there are people out there in the world like me, those shows will continue to thrive...at least for a few seasons. There's something about these teenybopper shows that make me happy. I mean, won't we -- who are in my generation-- all have fond memories of Saved by the Bell? I mean, didn't we all learn from Saved by the Bell? If not about friendship and love, we at least learned that there's no hope with dope. Yes, I'm quite sure we will all hold a special place in our hearts for SBTB. And though Dawson's and Roswell, and shows of the like, may not fall into that category. But for a short season of my life, they filled an entertainment void in my life.

6 comments:

reggstyl said...

Oh Jenny, you crack me up! I was right there watching with you during Dawson's. I specifically remember dropping a Wednesday night class because that was THE night--I couldn't miss out!

I don't remember watching Roswell, was I not around (where would I have been??) or do I just not remember?

And thanks for not mentioning that trashy MTV show we were addicted to for awhile...good times...

Heidi said...

Jenny, your TV memories are JUST like mine! And can I just mention that I'm older than you, so I was like 25-26 years old watching Dawson's Creek. And when it came out on DVD a few years ago, I watched the whole thing in about 3 days. Same with Roswell. I loved Gilmore Girls too, but only the first 3 seasons. And 7th Heaven (about the first 4-5 seasons).

Marcus and Jenny said...

Reagan...really? You don't remember Roswell?! I think you introduced me to it. Maybe it was Marci. I totally forgot about that MTV show. Oh goodness!

The Nelsons said...

Fun post. :) I loved Saved by the Bell - I wasn't allowed to watch it when I was younger, but finally my mom relented. Definitely no Dawson's allowed either...Anyway. Neither were the Simpsons, so. :) I started watching GG and got totally sucked in but quit watching it because Greta started to pay too much attention.

But SBTB - just thinking about, I feel like singing, "I'm so excited!"

Jordan and Ariana said...

You know what? Don't feel bad at all about your shows. We have all have them! I think we like cheesy, bad-acting shows to keep us young and to remind us of our childhoods. I still watch Saved by the Bell when I can.

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness I LOVE Buffy! I didn't watch it back in it's hayday, but love watching the reruns on saturday mornings! and although scott wouldn't tell you this, he really likes it too :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails