Friday, August 27, 2010

Camp Richie 2010

This year, I had the awesome opportunity to attend Girls Camp. I love my calling. I was only there a few days as my assignments were to be the Sunday night fireside speaker and work with the 6th levels on the Monday night Faith Walk. It was so fun working with them, and it was so so so fun being there. This stake's girls camp is over the top. Crazy! So fun! While I was there I met some great, no...incredible, young women and made some friendships with people my own age too ~ that's always nice, to say the least.


I also decided to take advantage of the activities available. I tackled the climbing wall...and that is HARD stuff! Man. I get a little competitive with myself, so when I struggled with it, I had to keep doing it over until I felt like I had mastered it. My body was quite sore that evening, but it was well worth it. By the time I got it, I could get up to the top and ring the bell pretty quickly. I was happy.

I swam in the gorgeous cold water. But I mean, really...look at this lake! I couldn't pass this up. I got water certified, which meant I had to swim many laps doing several different strokes. I can normally bust out the swimming pretty ok, but up in that altitude, by the time I was done, I was pretty sure I was going to pass out. After certification, I went kayaking (for the first time) with one of my girls ~ Sadie ~ and I still couldn't quite catch my breath. I was feeling sick and my head was borderline explosive. So, after going around the lake for a bit, I had to wimp out and we had to go back in. Luckily, she was cool with that. I wanted to get up for the 5am swim, but never made it. 5am people! That's EARL-Y! In really cold water! Maybe next year.


And finally, I did a little rapelling. This is a scary thing. Yes, indeed. Especially when you're not in love with heights, such as I. I met Daniel Hawes, one of the priesthood leaders from the stake there, and after he shared his conversion story with me -- hello...very very inspiring...VERY inspiring -- he told me to come and risk my life rapelling. Well, he didn't quite say that, but that's how I heard it. I decided to take him up on it. Xenia, his wife and Camp Co-Director, was headed out and I asked her where the rapelling rock was. And because of Xenia's compassion for me, she rappelled with me. (Not the most flattering picture, but she's a babe. It was really bright up there, and my face looks a little swollen -- or maybe that's just my face. Oh how sad.)
Yes, as I look down, I think, "Really? Really I'm going to do this?" I was quite scared to take that first step over the cliff edge -- and I was holding on for dear life with my left hand. Now, that hand does nothing for you, but it made me feel a whole lot safer. My left hand and forearm were pretty sore the next day though. hm


Daniel and Xenia. It's as if they do this every single day....with such ease and comfort. Crazy I tell you!


And off I go....with some final directions given to me before I head down. (No, she is not touching me...we are at least 15 feet apart there). I was nervous at first, but it wasn't too bad once I got going. I decided to do it again the next day so I could enjoy it more and go down a little faster. It was a lot of fun.


Girls Camp here is far different from my days of Girls Camp growing up...but it was so much fun. I'm glad I had the chance to go, even if it was only for a few days. Not only were there tons of fun things to do, but it was so nice to get away from the busy stuff of daily life. No distractions. The Spirit was so strong there, and I was grateful to be there.

2 comments:

Lant Family said...

that looks like a blast! I would be very scared to repell off the wall, way to go!

hilary said...

I'm so proud of you for repelling!! You're awesome. I can't wait to have you guys over for dinner. Soon, I tell you. . . soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails