Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Michael Ririe

Yesterday I didn't get too many pictures of Samantha.  I was busy.  She was doing well without me, and I was...busy.  (Possibly on post on that one day in the future.)  These were the two pictures I got of her.  At least they were happy, but not a whole lot to choose from to put on this here blog.



Yesterday, however, there was someone else at Now I Can taking pictures.  His name: Michael Ririe.  He's a photographer who has become...oh...invested, I suppose, in Now I Can.  I talked with him a little bit and I was impressed with his sincerity.  He's not just a photographer who has a good eye for a picture and what it can tell those who view it.  He has the heart for it as well.  He not only sees it, but he has that deep desire to share the story behind the photograph.  So, that's what he did with Now I Can.  When he came across this little 'ole therapy place, and found out what it is that they do here...how they help families and give hope to so many, he wanted to share that.  He asked founder Tracey Christensen if he could create a photo essay for Now I Can, and they immediately began working together.  The photos were displayed in 2 separate locations -- at the Covey Center for the Arts in Provo and the Orem Public Library (Orem).  There was such a community response from his work, that he is now doing an additional project, which I believe is meant to become a book (proceeds to go to Now I Can).

Yesterday.  He was here.  Taking pictures.  And he caught some of our Sammy.  I'm not sure if she was in her best form, in fact, ok, I know...she wasn't.  But he said he'll be back next week as well.  If she's in the book or not...it would be cool, but it's the fact that this project is even happening...that someone felt so strongly about this program...and that he ~ Michael Ririe ~ would take time from him family and work to create something for these kids.  For my kid.  On top of that, he's just a cool guy.

Take a few seconds and check out his Now I Can photo essay that was displayed.  I love it.  I feel like he shows the reality of intensive therapy here.  There are smiles, but there are also tears and screams.  Why?  Because these kiddos are working their tails off.  They are being pushed to do things that few believed they could ever do.  One of my favorite pictures in the series is of a little boy.  He is standing in the spider cage, arms stretched out as Sergio stretches his leg back.  He is a very unhappy little boy.  He is definitely crying.  But, even though he's upset, he keeps his arm stretched out.  He knows what he needs to do....it doesn't mean he likes it, but he knows, or at least trusts, that this is good for him.  In the series of pictures, yes, you see tears, but you also see smiles, triumph, and victory.  Check it out.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails