Monday, October 5, 2009

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

I loved this book. My sister-in-law suggested it to me. I had been wanting to read it for awhile, just didn't around to it. So it sat on my bookshelf for quite some time. Then, the day came, and I fell in love. I haven't read a book like this in some time. I was so interested the entire time. I wanted to know how Francie's life would shape and the girl she would become. I wanted to know how her family would survive...everything that they were going through. I, particularly, enjoy the omniscient point of view. Recently I've been reading a ton of first person, which I really enjoy. But I found myself so interested in knowing the thoughts of everyone. I think it was important to this book to have an omniscient point of view because this book, to me, was more than a story about this one family's life. It was about Brooklyn. As I read, I found myself completely disgusted with our society. We feel like "sacrifice" means not getting our nails done, or lowering our cell phone minutes. Give me a break! These people during this time were all starving! They were lucky to have bread, and yet we complain that we can't buy the house of our dreams? It was a big reality check for me, and I was tempted to suggest this book to list full of people I know! I loved reading it. Just loved it. I know a lot of people who said, "Oh, I hated that book." But I just loved it. And perhaps it was different for me because I didn't have to read it in high school. Maybe my stage of life has something to do with the appreciation I have for the book. Either way, I highly recommend it! This one's a classic for a good reason. 5 stars!

1 comment:

Erika said...

I listened to this book on a trip up to Utah and back this summer. I was actually disappointed when I reached my destinations because it meant I would have to wait to find out what happened next. I definitely had to reconsider a few things in my life that seemed to be "necessities". Fantastic book!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails