Thursday, September 29, 2011

National Microcephaly Day

It's true.
They have one.
National Microcephaly Day
is today
September 30

This is what Microcephaly means to me:











A little over a year ago, a friend asked me to be a guest poster on her blog.  I was to answer the question "How do you do it?"  I wrote about Microcephaly and Motherhood.  You can read the entire article, but it's the last paragraph that really sums up my feelings about microcephaly.

~*~*~*~*~*~

How do I do it? Many days I can’t work on my projects. Some days bedtime still seems too far away. And my faith has definitely waivered. But the number one thing that keeps me going is the little girl with big blue eyes and rosy red lips. Samantha’s giggle warms my soul. Her smile makes my heart do little leaps. Her eyes tell me stories that I won’t hear in this lifetime. Her stumbling walk and awkward movements sometimes actually bring us great comic relief! She is clever and funny and really a joy to be around. Everyone loves this little girl! I want to be with her. I want to be by her side as much as I can. I want to be her Mom. I want to be her advocate. I want to tap into the potential within her and make her shine brighter than she does now. I want to teach her. I want to hug her. I want to kiss her little cheeks. I want to struggle as I put curlers in her hair. Tonight, I didn’t want to have to rock her to sleep, but as I did, I didn’t want to be anywhere else. I want her to know, even if she doesn’t understand the words “I love you,” I need to be certain that she gets it…that she feels it. I want to experience it all with her because she is my earthly angel and I’d rather laugh with her or struggle and fight than not have her by my side. Microcephaly and motherhood. Sometimes it really doesn’t seem so bad after all. Truly.

That may not be how I do it, but it’s certainly why I do it.

~*~*~*~*~*~

If microcephaly brought me this little gem, I'll take it.
I'll take the whole package.


You can find out a little bit more about Samantha's microcephaly on my Kidz post.

3 comments:

Bryant and April said...

She is a beautiful little girl--and a VERY lucky girl to have such great parents! Won't things be wonderful in the next life as you get to truly "meet" the person Samantha is and hear the stories she has to tell!!

Peggy said...

Hi Jenny!!! We love reading your updates on Sammy's therapy! I loved this post. Sammy is such a sweetheart! We miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

I think that's one of the cutest little girls I've ever seen!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails