Thursday, January 20, 2011

Feeling Grateful

Of the many blessings that I have in my life, I have to count Scribbles and Giggles as one of them. In the simplest terms, Scribbles and Giggles is “pediatric day health center”, or a daycare for special needs and medically sensitive kids. When Samantha was born, sure I was overwhelmed, but I felt confident that I could do it. Enter Callie. I still felt fairly capable. But when I was introduced to Scribbles and got Samantha enrolled, I realized how heavy my load had been. Scribbles and Giggles is so much more than a daycare. They do therapy, activities, field trips. They completely cater to the kids and their families.


Tonight I attended a meeting at Scribbles and Giggles. There, I learned that Scribbles was losing $25,000 a month (!!!), but the past 3 months it’s been about $15,000. I was floored. They are barely staying afloat and it’s largely due to poor planning from parents. I was relieved that I was considered (I think anyway) one of the reliable parents – but moreso, I was impressed with Mike Zarcone. He is a man, who after had 2 brothers with developmental delay and seeing what his parents went through, decided that this community needed a facility that offered services to parents and their children. This is a man who is losing $15,000 monthly and just trying to break even over the next year if possible so that he can maintain this facility.  If not, they'll need to shut-down.  (This is also the man who owns the next-door sub-acute hospital that saves our state $11 million a year because kids can go to his hospital instead of staying in other hospitals.)  I was touched as he spoke and I had to stifle any tears that were trying to make their appearance because I just felt so much gratitude for this man, and I felt blessed to be among the 41 families who use Scribbles and Giggles.

I am most certain that there must be special places reserved in Heaven for men like Mike Zarcone, who altruistically sacrifice and give of their resources for others. I don’t know his faith or beliefs, but I know that, at least this aspect of his life is very Christ-like and I feel blessed to be able to benefit from this kindness.

Samantha loves attending Scribbles and Giggles and they adore her there. She can’t tell me in words, but when we went tonight, seeing her face light up and her legs start kicking, I was pretty sure she was telling me she was excited to be there. It’s a really good feeling knowing that your kids are well taken care of and taught, guided, mentored, and loved by tender, intelligent, talented, and truly kind people. Tonight, I feel grateful.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails