Sunday, July 1, 2012

Eve and the Choice Made in Eden by Beverly Campbell

I loved this book.  My roommate read it back in college and so it's always been on my to-read list.  And, I finally got around to it.  I didn't learn any new doctrine here, but there were many times when I said to myself, "I haven't thought of it that way before."  I like books like that.

I have so much love and appreciation for Eve.  What a righteous woman.  Can you imagine being chosen, or called, to be the first woman on Earth?  To set the way?  To be responsible for starting the human race?  To teach her sons and daughters?  I am impressed with the woman she is.  Eve if often thought of as weak; she is the woman who gave into temptation.  But is she?  I have always been raised to believe that Eve knew the decision she was making...that it wasn't a moment of weakness, but a moment of clarity.  I wasn't in the Garden of Eden and I'm not sure what her thoughts were at the time.  But I do know that she fulfilled a part of the Father's plan, and that she frustrated the one who was trying to deceive her.  I believe she had knowledge gained from living in Eden and conversing with the Lord, as well as innate qualities that helped her be able to act instead of react to situations as they presented themselves.  Reading more about Eve sheds more light on her decision and how it impacts us all.  I really loved this book.

Some of my favorite parts from the book:

"Your potential is limitless.  You are daughters of God, endowed by inheritance with marvelous gifts and immeasurable potential.  Accept the challenge.  Go forward with confidence."  ~ President Hinckley

"In life all must choose at times.  Sometimes, two possibilities are good; neither is evil.  Usually, however, one is of greater import than the other.  When in doubt, each must choose that which concerns the good of others -- the greater law -- rather than that which chiefly benefits ourselves -- the lesser law.... The greater must be chosen whether it be law or thing.  That was the choice made in Eden."  ~ Elder Widtsoe

The words I read in this book inspired me to be a better mother, wife, and daughter.  I recommend this book to every woman.  Beautiful.

2 comments:

Maren B said...

I love that last quote. I have never thought about that principle directly but it's so true.

Bugg's mama said...

Hi Jenny! Add this to your list: The Worth of a Soul: From Muslim to Mormon by Ayse Hitchins. Incredible!!!!!

Hope you're doing great! I don't get "out" much (in blogland). I'm so behind on everybody's lives. Happy Summering!

xoxo, Bree

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails