Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Corn and Cheese Chowder

I've made this a few times and am getting requests for the recipe...because yes, it is that good.  So, I'm going to just put it here on the blog.

If you know The Pioneer Woman, perhaps you are familiar with the recipe.  Her Corn & Cheese Chowder is divine.  I did change it up though.  If you want her recipe, go right to the link.  But below is how I made it...it's nearly the same as her recipe.  Basically, I add potatoes and creamed corn...and don't use 1/2 and 1/2 unless I have cream on hand then I'll do half milk and half cream...but when do I ever have cream?  One time.


Jenny's Pioneer Woman's Corn & Cheese Chowder

4 Tablespoons butter
1 whole onion, chopped
3 slices bacon, cooked and cut into pieces
3 whole bell peppers, finely diced (red, yellow, orange)
2-3 cans of corn
2-3 cans of creamed corn
4 good sized potatoes, cleaned and cut in cubes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups whole milk
2-3 big handfuls of whatever cheese you have on hand (I use cheddar or Monterrey Jack)

In a pot, boil cut up potatoes.  You can peel them if you'd like...I normally don't for time purposes.

While the potatoes are boiling, in another large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat.  Cook onions for a few minutes.  Add bacon and cook for another few minutes, then add diced bell peppers and cook for a couple of minutes.  Finally, add canned corn and cook for a minute.

Sprinkle flour evenly over the top and stir to combine.  Pour in broth and stir well.  Add cooked potatoes and cans of creamed corn.  Allow this to thicken for 3-4 minutes, then reduce heat to low.  Stir milk, then cover and allow to simmer/thicken for 15 minutes or so.

Stir in cheese.  When cheese is melted and the soup is hot, check seasonings.  Add salt and pepper as needed.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails