Sunday, August 3, 2014

'Tis a Gift to be Simple

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right, 
  'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.

When true simplicity is gain'd, 
  To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight, 
  Till by turning, turning we come 'round right.


The picture in Sammy's bedroom

I have a tendency to over-complicate things.  Am I the only one?  It seems that each year, my resolution is to simplify my life to some degree.  Can I get an Amen!?  And I think I do a really good job of it, until I re-evaluate at the end of the year and think, "I need to simplify my life."  mmm hmmm  And so, I try again.  

I believe I'm improving.  I'm working on it.  I'm trying to focus on what is most important.  Yes, I fill my days with extras, but I am doing better in my choosing.  Better.  Still working at it.  

One thing I've realized lately in my personal studies is that there is something in my life that will always remain constant.  Uncomplicated.  Clear.  Straight forward.  Simple.  

And it is a gift.  

The picture in Callie's bedroom.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is simple.  It may not be easy all the time, but it's simple.  I am a daughter of God.  I was before this mortal life, and I will forever be His.  Because I was with him once, I can be with him again.  He spoke to His children before; He speaks to his children now.  There were commandments before; commandments are still set to help keep us on track.  When we fall off course, we are given tools to get back on track.  Repentance is a true, real process that puts us back on the trail home...it's a process of turning back to Him, and humbly admitting we need to be better.  We are all just trying to be better.  Yes there are ordinances that need to be done here on earth.  There are things that we need to do.  But it all boils down to this: we are His.  His children.  His babies.  His most precious treasures.  And in the most respectful way, He's just our daddy.


The picture in Micah's room

I think it's all pretty black and white.  We're his children or we're not.  There is a plan for us here, or there's not.  We are left alone to wander and figure it out, or we're actually given exactly what we need to make it through this life so we can be home again.  

I have received answers for myself that make it impossible for me to say that it's not true.  I am His daughter.  I know the path.  I am not perfect...nor does my loving Father expect me to be.  But what he does expect is for me not to give up.

To seek truth always.  
To talk to him.  
To keep my focus on the eternal joys ahead.  
And he'll fill me with faith, hope, and charity.  
He will give me what I need.  

I don't expect to have an easy life.  I expect my life will be scattered with thunderstorms, but I believe that through the simplicity of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the sunshine will always cast the storms out.  Because the Son is brighter than any storm in my life.


I guess, for me, the real challenge is in finding that true simplicity everyday.  Remembering the simplicity.  Remembering the simple truth of where I came from, why I'm here, and where I'm headed.  And if that's our focus, as the Shakers sang...we'll all "come 'round right."

     

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails