Saturday, January 31, 2009

Running Laps

For some time, we have been more than a little concerned over Callie's seeming inability to gain any weight. We feel we have tried lots of things, but to no avail. A few nghts ago, we had decided that we would next try an IV filled with butter, and laid Callie down for the night. That night, however, we discovered why Callie was having so many problems gaining weight. At around 3 in the morning, we heard some noise in the front room. I ran out and turned the lights on to find Callie "running laps" around our living room. Jenny quickly pulled out a video camera and caught some of it on tape.



I asked Callie what she was up to, and she told me that she has been training for a local triathlon, and was working on her mile time (206 times around the family room). She's hoping to get it down to the 4 and one-half minute range. Other nights, she told me, she makes her way down to a local stream and swims a little and sometimes takes my bike out for a nighttime ride. All of this burns a lot of calories and has prevented any substantial weight gain. She was afraid to tell us for fear that we would not allow her compete. More impressed, really, than upset, we agreed that if she placed in the top ten for her age group during the competition, there would be no disciplinary action. We spent much of the next day today looking for a wet suit and good running shoes for a 13 month old.

9 comments:

Megan said...

Hilarious! My little girl is the same way. Doesn't gain a pound because she's absolutely insane--climbing everything and running around like a maniac. But man, that Callie is ADORABLE.

Heidi said...

bwaahhhaahhaaa! Marcus, you are such a hoot! Last night I dreamed I had another baby and it had black hair and dark skin. Mary thiks I have Callie on the brain.

maryirene said...

marcus, have we mentioned how hilarious and awesome we think you are. well, you are. so there. and yes, please let her compete, then we'll have an excuse to come visit. we'll be her front row fans.

sagebrushandbuttercups said...

Marcus, your little triathloner Callie is so cute running around!She is looking that kind of "kid-tired" where they get more active and busy rather than rest. I remember that well. She sure can move fast! How is your work going, Marcus?

Peggy said...

Too funny! We want to come run with Callie! We probably wouldn't be able to keep up with her!:)

Laura said...

Our little girl, Maia, does the same; we like to say she is training for swimming because she walks/runs laps back and forth from kitchen sink to living room couch.
-Mourtgos'

jenwilliams said...

Marcus! Jenny! You are so FUNNY! It reminds me of the countless nights our kids ran themselves ragged JUST before bedtime - when we were our tiredest (is that a word?) Love you all. Hope to see you soon!

Kirstin said...

Three in the morning huh?! That is so funny. I would hear the noise and be scared, and then die laughing to see a kid running around. I bet you guys were hysterical when you saw her. Not even upset that you had to get up at three in the a.m. What a silly silly cute little girl! Oh I also like Marcus's humorous take on the whole thing (triathalon approach.)

Amanda P said...

That is the funniest thing I've ever heard! Callie was so cute today at church, I loved her hair. I heard you guys had a blog and looked it up, I hope you don't mind. You have some of the cutest videos and how do you get Marcus to post? I have to beg Tim and then he never posts anyways.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails