Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Child Called "It"


A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer is one of the saddest books I've read. Samantha has had a very rough weekend, and yesterday she just kind of passed out in my arms. I held her while she slept for 2 hours. Luckily Callie was sleeping too. During this time, I read this book. Many of my students read this book and I thought "why not?" as I passed it in the library. I think reading this book is a different experience than had I read it before Samantha was born. It was shocking to read such horrendous things, and then look down to see a little angel sleeping in my arms -- so peaceful and calm. I just can't imagine being so angry at another human being, a child -- so innocent and pure, that it would make me react in such a way. I know I have no authority to judge, but I believe that Judgement Day will be a very scary and damning day for people who take out their anger and frustrations on their children. The horror that little David Pelzer experienced as a child is just atrocious. I can't imagine someone being so cruel to even think of some of the punishments that he received. It is just so sad. However, I am impressed that Mr. Pelzer was able to take his life experience, with all its ugliness and pain, to help others and try to create a better world for those also suffering from abuse. I don't think I would recommend the book unless this is a topic that you are interested in. I don't plan on reading the 2nd and 3rd books in the trilogy, but I will probably find out the rest of his story on-line. He is a remarkable man whose fighting spirit saved his life and has impacted thousands of others.

2 comments:

Kirstin said...

This doesn't have to do with this post... but I was just looking through all of your posts... old and new... just to look at pics of your cute girls... and I just read the post about Unwritten Law... how I never saw that one before I know not! I loved them too back in the day. Isn't Cailin one of the best songs ever!!!! Their cd right after that one has some pretty good songs on it too.... Can't think of the names of them, but I have the CD out in my car. Here are some other artists you may have already heard of... or might like to try since I believe our taste in music is much the same.

Missy Higgins
Jose Gonzales
The Cary Brothers

Although I do also love some good hip hop and rap!!!!

Erika said...

I would actually recommend reading the last two books. I read the first one and needed to know if there was ever a resolution. The other books are painful as well, but they do offer more insight and some closure (especially the third).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails