Thursday, July 25, 2013

Relearning to Walk

Samantha's made some great progress.  And I'm so happy about that.  But it seems like the progress all happened right away, and now comes the struggle.

Her feet are down more during therapy.  This is fantastic news.  We had thought that she lost all range in her feet/ankle, but that is clearly not the case.  She stands flat and for quite some time, as she works.  What I am noticing, though, is she doesn't stand flat footed at home at all.  hm  I'd really like to see that.

The other really noticeable thing is that she struggles walking ~ more so than she did before.  I was talking to Mark and he mentioned that I may see this...and it's true, I have.  She has gotten her feet down, but she has no idea what to do now that her feet are flat.  She is in such a pattern of walking high and then higher up on her toes, she doesn't know how to properly walk.  So, they are spending a lot of time helping her feel her feet...feel the ground under her feet...and then use the correct muscles to actually walk.

Today is one of those days I wish it were all easy.

As a side note: I'm super tired!  I can't seem to sleep enough.  So, I'm going to take a little nap while she's in the spider cage and hopefully that will revive me a little bit.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails