Tuesday, November 26, 2013

I Didn't Plan to Be a Witch by Linda Eyre

 
My nephew was baptized in August.  The kids and I drove down and spent the weekend with the family to celebrate this milestone in his life.  During that time, I was able to talk with my sister-in-law.  As a side note, I love her.  Peggy is among the best people I know.  She is sincerely kind, beautiful, smart...a good and loyal friend, great mother, and stellar wife.  So, it was fun to spend time with her, my brother, and my nephews -- and the bonus was that my parents had flown out too.

Back to the book.  Peggy and I were talking about books we were reading, or had recently read, and loved.  She handed me I Didn't Plan to Be a Witch and told me to read it.  I did.  And I loved it.  Loved it.

If you are aware of the Eyre's, you know they have written many parenting  books and have quite a following.  They have a pretty extraordinary family and have made a business sharing them all with the world.  And, it's all really great stuff.  Inspiring stuff.  Encouraging stuff.

Why did I love this book that Mrs. Linda Eyre wrote?  Probably because I love the title.  It spoke to my heart.  Because, truly, I am a witch.  On some days (more than I'd like to admit), something takes over me and my inner witch is unleashed.  ahhh  I try.  I do.  But too often I feel like I'm totally lacking and failing my children.  I'm convinced that I'm screwing up their future and that they will be on some tv show, or heaven forbid writing a blog post, about how their mother scarred them.  (sigh)  Logically, I know that's not going to happen (or at least I hope not), but I do worry that I'm not nurturing them as they need.

So, this book was just what I needed.  It brought the perspective that I needed.  It reminded me that I'm not messing up that badly...and in fact, I may actually be doing a pretty good job.  Linda Eyre's sincerity and combined with her sense of humor helped me feel a little relief and see the humor that surrounds me.  Each principle of motherhood that she describes, each chapter, was a small reminder that I'm doing the most important job I can be doing right now, and I'm doing alright.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails