Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim




Oh wow. I really enjoyed this book. It's a story of enduring love between two women, and how that love transcends social pressures, stigmas, and adversity. When Lisbeth is born, she is passed off to her wet nurse -- Mattie, a slave who has a 3 month old child, herself. Mattie cares for Lisbeth day and night, creating a bond much stronger than Lisbeth has with her own mother. As time goes on, their bond only strengthens. After time, they lose contact, but their stories are still woven together.

Though slavery is the basic story, themes of love, sisterhood, family, forced separation of slave families, social pressures, courage, personal power -- and the lack thereof -- are also scattered throughout the novel. It was a beautiful story. I loved it. 


2 comments:

Marci said...

Hey hot lady. I didn't know you kept up this blog anymore! Here I was, searching for your old blog to find that old playlist that was on there. Loved that playlist. And I found this! All updated and cute and recent (like YESTERDAY). But no playlist... boooo! I need you, music friend! Brighten my cleaning day!

Love ya Jen. Love this blog. I want to be like you when I grow up! xoxo

Marcus and Jenny said...

Oh Marse, how I love thee. I hear ya about the music! That website doesn't allow you to play on your own site anymore and so, my heart breaks and I don't listen to my own blog anymore. Life really can be hard. ;) Hopefully you found something to keep your cleaning fun and spunky. Love you lady!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails