Thursday, April 23, 2009

Home Cookin'

Recently, my parents were here visiting us in Spokane. I loved it. And, as usual, I cried like a baby when they left. I can't help it. I guess I just can't cut the cord -- but I love having them around. They stayed with us in our tiny apartment, and it was great. (pictures to come)

While they were here, I realized that some things I do to save money on our grocery bill -- not everyone does. I guess I knew it before, but it all had become routine for us. So, here are some of those things:

* We eat a lot of beans in our meals.
* I never buy tortillas anymore. I just make my own wheat tortillas. No preservatives and they're hearty.
* I buy my spices, pasta, rice, sugar, oats, and flour from the bulk food section.
* I plan our meals for a month -- as I've mentioned before.
* I've started to buy dry beans instead of canned beans. (I'm looking for a good refried beans recipe if anyone has one)
* I don't buy granola bars anymore. I make them. (once again, no preservatives, and much cheaper)
* I've started to can meat. When there's a good deal on chicken breasts (recently $.99/lb), I buy a bunch and can it. Thanks Cherie for helping me.

These are just a few things I do, but it has really made a huge difference in our food bill. When I have money left over in our food budget, I've been stocking up for our food storage. I'm really trying to get a working 3 month supply going, and we are on our way. I get so much satisfaction from making good, nutritious meals, saving money, and getting our food storage going.

"'Cuz if getting food storage and eating healthy meals is wrong, I don't want to be right." -- Marcus Green

8 comments:

sagebrushandbuttercups said...

Hi, please check gmail for a recipe.
Happy to hear you enjoyed time with your family! My parents used to visit us in Texas,then Kentucky and it was SO great. They would stay with us for three awesome weeks and we all have great memories.In Texas we were caretakers of a sorority house (yay Chi Omega!) and lived in a neat studio apt. And we all (7) fit in there just fine.Family is wonderful.But those goodbyes are gutwrenchingly awful, aren't they!? Still worth the time together for sure though.
You sure do smart things with your grocery shopping.
Are you willing to share that wheat tortilla recipe? They sound yummy and healthy.
Love to all,
Jan

Lili said...

I really am impressed and inspired reading this. You're getting a serious handle on this provident living thing! I want to be like you and Marcus when I grow up :)

Launi said...

thanks for the tips, jenny! i agree, share the tortilla recipe. :)

Going bananas said...

I've made granola, but I've never made granola bars. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Stephanie said...

I have recently fallen in love with Weelicious.com. The lady is a cook and it is all for homemade, healthy baby food! She has purees (if you go back a few months), but it is mostly low sugar, low fat (and sometimes organic) recipes. The banana muffins are super good. And thanks for the inspiration to do meal planning according to month. I'm still building up recipes, but we've amazingly had better food for less money. Thanks to Launi too.

reggstyl said...

Thanks for the tips, Jenny. I also would love to know how to make refried beans. I should ask someone from the mission but they all used LOTS of lard so...right now I use the ones from the cannery and they are really good. I've never price compared with canned, though.

Amelia said...

I want to see the month menu! You are AMAZING! My idol!

maryirene said...

wow! that is so awesome. when do you do all this? you are super mom!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails