Saturday, August 1, 2009

Black Bean Enchilada Soup

I feel, recently, that I'm getting much more credit than is due. You see, I have become more frugal, learning to cut our grocery bill quite a bit, eat healthier, etc. But this by NO means designates me as a guru of any kind -- though it does make me feel really cool when people want my recipes and tips. I don't think I do anything unique in my new money saving ways, and I don't find myself particularly creative in the kitchen. But, both of these things, saving money and cooking, I just happen to really love to do. Don't get me wrong though, if I had a sickeningly large budget, I would have a LOT more awesome shoes, more than 2 pair of shorts that fit comfortably, a few more t-shirts, I'd get my hair done more often and it'd be at a nice salon, and I'd consider getting laser hair removal so I'd never have to shave my legs again. Wouldn't that be nice?

I dream of that day...but the truth is, I think if I did have that sickeningly large budget, I'd still do a lot of these things that I'm doing now. I'd probably keep thinking "if I cut here, we can save _____ more each month for our retirement." (Though retirement saving will probably not be happening again until we get a real job.) Does being a saver make one extremely boring? Perhaps. But I also find great comfort in financial security.

Either way, that's who I am. So, back to the original purpose of this post -- (cough cough) -- we, at the Green household have been eating more vegetarian meals for 2 reasons. 1) Meat is expensive. 2) We want to be healthier individuals. I know I've talked about this before, so I won't go into it. But here is a new recipe that we love. Huge Thanks goes to Launi for her Chicken Enchilada Recipe. I took this recipe and just basically replaced it with beans. We love it. It fabulous with chicken, but the beans are super cheap, filling, and yummy. Leftovers are just as good.

Black Bean Enchilada Soup

4 c. chicken or vegetable broth
2 cans enchilada sauce (we prefer Old El Paso)
2 t. chili powder
2 t. taco seasoning
1 onion, chopped
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 c. fat free sour cream
2 cans corn, drained
2 small cans diced green chilies
3 cans black beans, drained (OR I cook a bunch of black beans so they are ready, then freeze them. Add as many as you want 4-5 cups or so)

Put broth, enchilada sauce, onions, chilies, and spices in large pot. Simmer until onions have cooked down (approx. 10 minutes). Stir in cheese and sour cream until melted in. Add corn and beans and cook until warm. Serve with tortilla chips.

My mom and dad loved this when they came out to visit. I think I made it for them twice. When my mom makes it at home, they don't put in the cheese or sour cream. It becomes more of a taco soup and they don't have the extra calories of the cheese. I haven't tried it yet, but like the idea. Cheese is expensive too, so that would definitely help cut the grocery bill.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails