Thursday, September 8, 2011

Blessings

Admittedly, I haven't really looked for the cord to upload our pictures.  I haven't had a lot of time.  However, I'd like to write this down before I forget....

On Tuesday evening, we had a family back to school party.  It was fun.  We had breakfast for dinner and talked about our school year Family Focus.  The idea is NOT original.  I've heard of a few families doing this.  I copied it from a friend of a friend's blog.  And since I saw it awhile back, I've seen that many of you clever and smart parents out there do the same thing.  I decided to jump on the bandwagon and join the wonderful world of family fun!!!  So, after much consideration...we have decided our focus will be...

Be Kind

Callie's in preschool now, and we felt it was something that we could work on with both the girls.  It's working on common courtesies, friendliness, and it can easily be tied in to the gospel as well.  I'm really excited about it.

After dinner, we had a little discussion about blessings.  Callie's never had a priesthood blessing that she can remember, so over the past few weeks I've been prepping her.  As confirmations and baby blessings have happened at church, we discuss them.  This past weekend, we drove down to visit my brother and his family.  My parents are in town...and so my brother, dad, and Marcus all partipated in a baby blessing.  What a neat opportunity for Callie to witness that priesthood ordinance.  And it perfectly set up Tuesday night.

So, again, after dinner, we discussed priesthood blessings briefly...and then Marcus gave both the girls a father's blessing.  It was special for me to have my dad included in that as well.  Sammy went first as she is the oldest.  Callie was so reverent.  And Samantha did a great job as well.  Then it was Callie's turn.  Callie is a high energy, spirited little lady.  But as soon as she sat in that chair, she folded her arms and shut her eyes.  She actually had a longer blessing, and I wasn't sure how she'd do...but it truly was one of those happiest-mommy-in-the-world moments.  She was excited for it and understood that this was something special.  She has since asked when we are doing another blessing and we've talked about it.  It was a fantastic night.

And...we'll see how our Be Kind focus goes this year.  It may be a long school year! :)

2 comments:

The Nelsons said...

Sounds fabulous! :)

hilary said...

such a great idea. So glad I get to see you now, even if I am a little pre-occupied with my screaming child. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails