Friday, March 12, 2010

Chicken Baked Chimichangas

I'm not the best cook, but I do ok. And sometimes, I stumble across something that turns out really well, and that makes me happy -- especially when I'm cooking for people other than Marcus and the girls. Yesterday I found this recipe I wanted to try for Beef and Bean Chimichangas, and I tweeked it here, and there, and here some more...and came up with my own Chicken Chimichangas. Super easy and yummy. I had some left over filling so I put that in the freezer -- ready for round 2 some time soon.


4-5 chicken breasts
1 medium chopped onion
1 7oz can green chilies
1 can refried beans
1 can corn
1 can enchilada sauce (Old El Paso is the best, in our opinion)
taco seasoning
whole wheat tortillas
shredded cheese (I used cheddar and mozzerella)
1 T. melted butter


Boil chicken. When cooked, dump water and rinse out pot. Shred chicken with fork. While you're shredding chicken, cook chopped onions in pot. Mix shredded chicken with cooked onions. Mix refried beans with chicken and onion until well mixed. Then add green chilies and drained corn and mix together. Add maybe a 1/2 c. enchilada sauce -- stir in. Sprinkle taco seasoning over mixture...few tablespoons maybe.

Lay out your tortilla and spread mixture over top. Sprinkle a little cheddar and then some mozzerella over mixture. Fold tortilla ends in, and then sides in so it's all ingredients are enclosed. Lay on cookie sheet seam down. Continue until all tortillas are filled and on cookie sheet. Brush chimichangas with melted butter. Pour some enchilada sauce over top. Put in oven and bake 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with sour cream, shredded lettuce, tomato, etc.

Makes 13 chimichangas.

6 comments:

Rob and Marseille said...

but my tortilla bag only came with 10 tortillas ;)

Jenny said...

I know! Funny story about that...mine was only supposed to come with 10 too...but there were 13 in there. Lucky me I suppose.

Missy said...

These sound amazing! I am a big fan of chimichangas but not of the grease involved in cooking them. I love that this recipe doesn't include any deep frying. I will have to try it out:) Oh and did you use green or red enchilada sauce?

Jenny said...

Red enchilada sauce. It's super easy and yummy. I'm thinking of trying a black bean variation too. mmmmm

maryirene said...

i just printed this recipe off and i can't wait to try it!

Missy said...

I'm making these for the second time, and so it would be smart to print this out already! They are SO good! I've made them with ground turkey instead of chicken too, and they turned out awesome:) Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails