Monday, March 8, 2010

School

This morning Samantha went to school just like every other Monday, except today the school bus took her, not me. I know it'll be better for a lot of reasons, but I admit, I cried as Alice (our bus driver) strapped her in. And then they drove away.

It's not that big of a deal, I know. But I cried Samantha's first day of school too. It's time away from me -- that we aren't together. I know it's good for her. I do. But after years of taking care of her, and worrying about her...this is just another chunk of time that I can't keep tabs on her.

But, I remind myself of what Heidi (Marcus' aunt) told me when her son, Michael (also a little guy with special needs) got on the bus for school. The first day she cried, and the second day she did a little jig. I'm sure the jig-ging will come. But today, I know she's on the bus now, headed home, and wonder how she's doing. Oh my little little tiny girl is on a SCHOOLBUS! I imagine she is either falling asleep -- which she frequently does on the way home from school -- or she's giggling at the rumbling sounds of the bus. Either of those options would make me happy. And shortly, I'll get the report.

Aw, my little Sammy.

2 comments:

Rob and Marseille said...

when I saw the princess @ the frog in the opening scene I thought of samantha and callie.
So, how does samantha like the bus? why the change?

Jenny said...

It was just getting too much for me driving back and forth so much everyday...and it was getting hard for Callie too. As much as she really did love going to school...it was really messing up her nap and it was just too much. Plus, the cost of gas was hurting us. I was driving 32 miles a day, back and forth, back and forth, and it was tiresome. So far, it's going well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails