Thursday, January 2, 2014

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

When I read The Hunger Games a year or so ago, I wasn't convinced.  It was good.  But I didn't want to continue reading the series.  I needed a break.  I was bothered by the entire concept....people being chosen by a lottery system...to be killed.  It was a little reminiscent of "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, a perverse short story that I actually really like.  But it's a short story.  It leaves you feeling uncomfortable, but the story begins and ends in one short sitting.  The Hunger Games was "The Lottery" taken to a whole new level, and I couldn't swallow it very well.

I decided enough time had passed and it was time to read Catching Fire.  Though the book is still about the Hunger Games, I wasn't as disturbed.  Maybe it's because I felt like so much of this book wasn't even in the games.  There was a lot of ground work being laid in Catching Fire to prepare for Mockingjay.  There's not too much I have to say about Catching Fire actually, other than I read it pretty quickly, and it made me excited to read the last book in the series.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails