Saturday, February 7, 2009

Unwritten Law

Many many years ago, in a far away land, I stumbled across the band, Unwritten Law -- I think it was Reagan who introduced them to me. (If you google images for "Unwritten Law," this is the first picture that pops up. I'm not sure if it's the guy's mustache or the fro-ey hair in the back that drew me to them initially -- oh, it was probably the music, but really, check them out!) I slowly fell in love with this band, or at least the one cd that I owned. [I make no claim that their music, outside of this cd, is clean and appropriate.] Then, a horrible event occured. I'm not sure how, but the cd was lost. It was nowhere to be found. Apparently my love only ran so deep because after time, I forgot about this band and the songs that I proclaimed to love at one point.

Years passed and my taste in music changed a bit. After returning from my mission, I went back to some of the classics (Beatles, Steve Miller Band, Simon and Garfunkle) but also enjoyed new music. This is around the time I grew fond of Jack Johnson. [Sidenote: I went to his concert, which really was one of the best concerts I've been to, the 2nd week of school. We got home really late and I took a sick day from work! Some of my students were at the concert. I don't think they bought that I was really sick. That either destroyed any credibility with my new students or built a tight relationship with them knowing that we had common music interests. The Green family I married into just doesn't appreciate him, in fact, there is a strong hatred for my friend Jack, but I will be loyal to his mellow sounds until I die.] There was always a place in my heart for some good punk music. And sure, pop music was great for parties we threw -- afterall, even if they are annoying and dramatic, everyone sings along and dances. When I was teaching, I had music on while the kids worked on certain projects and I allowed them to bring in music to play. I had students make me cds saying "Hey Haubert, I think you'll like this." That is how I grew fond of the Postal Service, Deathcab, and Kalai. And as new music filled my life, Unwritten Law was shoved out completely. They were forgotten.

Yesterday, they entered my life again. While driving to the car wash, I read a few clean bumper stickers of the car in front of me. To my surprise, I saw an Unwritten Law bumper sticker. Could it be? There are others who appreciate their music? And old songs flooded my mind -- old songs from the one cd I owned. I still don't know where the old cd went. I'm pretty convinced someone stole it once they heard the sound of joy eminating from my apartment window. But, even still, the cd may be gone, but the music has returned to my heart. Sometimes there's nothing like reuniting with an old flame.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenny please check your gmail.

Jenny said...

AH! I can't find your email address in my gmail -- but thank you thank you thank you! AH! I'm so excited. You are so sweet Jan.

Heidi said...

So much music, so little time. Hey, a blog friend of mine is an English professor at BYU Hawaii. Where Jack lives. Her daughter and his niece play on the same soccer team. Daughter just went to a b-day party for said niece--Jack, who lives next door to niece, came and serenaded the girls. Also, blog friend has many pics of Jack taken at soccer games--she even got to meet him and get a hug and kiss. woo hoo! He's a very nice family man (even whilst kissing my friend).

Marci said...

jen! i think i copied your cd back in the day. which means i could make YOU a copy...

i too love UL. it's been a while... maybe i should put it on...

rachel said...

Jenny, you crack me up. I love hearing about the different phases in music. I do that all the time with food- I'll love love love a dish or two and then somehow months later I have completely forgotten how much I loved this dish that we used to have every week.

Gordon and Robyn said...

This is a funny post. And yes, I really like Unwritten Law too :) (but I had actually forgotten about them as well. How funny)

reggstyl said...

How did I miss this post? Just last month I had to throw away my UL concert tee because it had too many holes. I still sleep in the Mr. T Experience shirt I have! The mxpx one long ago bit the dust too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails