Thursday, May 20, 2010

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee


My all time favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird. I absolutely love this book, and because of book club, I had an excuse to read it again. I really could read this book annually. It's that good.

Many people have told me that they think it's too sad. Too sad? Yeah, sure. There is a really sad part, and some other minor sad parts. That's too bad. But, in the last chapter of the book, I find myself smiling and filled with a small sense of joy. Because to me, this book isn't about Tom Robinson, though a large portion of novel is his trial and how this affects the community. Rather, it's about Boo Radley. And so, the ending is heartwarming to me. I adore Atticus. He is the Everyman in this book. He's who we all hope we are -- someone who can put aside perverted social laws that we've grown up living and stand up against them. I love Scout. She is smart and fiesty. I love her common sense. I love Jem. His growth is enlightening to me. I love Calpurnia -- her mothering role in their lives. I love them all. Most people have read it, so I don't find it necessary to write too much about it...but I do absolutely love this book and recommend it to all. Put it on your list of books to read this year, even if you've already read it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails